Revision Ten of my novel, Tapper, has been completed and has been uploaded to Scribophile. This is the version that I hope will be the last major rewrite. Of course, there will be tweaks made to the new material, but I don’t anticipate wholesale changes. They won’t be critiqued for at least the next six weeks, due to the way The Ubergroup on Scribophile works, so I finally have some free time.
My first revisited project has been my second album. I’ve put it off for a long time now, and it’s high time that I gave it some attention. I’ve only got four tracks complete to date. Track number five is now under way.
I had some delays due to some hardware in my sound setup going on the fritz (an old Mackie 1202VLZ mixer feeding two channels into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2). I wound up replacing both the Mackie and the Focusrite with a Steinberg UR44 six channel USB 2.0 interface. It was a bear to set up, but once I got it going, it sounded great. It also allowed my son, Nathan, to rip out about half of the cables from my patch bay. My mixer rack is a much cleaner area now. I was also able to recalibrate my monitors (i.e., pro-level speakers) to a state that they’ve never been since I bought them.
My second revisited project has been Sergeant Marcos’s Rescue. Now that I’ve finished the Tapper revision, I can attack the rewrite of that short story at my leisure. I intend to work on it when I can’t work on Album #2 (e.g., when my wife is washing clothes or doing other noisy things around the house that I’m physically unable to help with, when I’ve got musical writer’s block, and so on). I got a lot of really good advice from my critiquers, and I intend to make the most of it, using as much time as I need to get the job done.
Words and Music. Working on both at the same time. That’s the idea behind this web site, and the idea behind how I spend my days when I’m able to function. Wish me luck.
Leave a Reply